Guidelines for Specific Visa Categories Consular Services

Guidelines for Specific Visa Categories

Tourist Visa

  • Tourist visa is issued to foreigners who do not have a residence or occupation in India and whose sole objective of visiting India is recreation, sightseeing, casual visit to meet friends and relatives etc. No other activity is permissible on a Tourist visa.The Tourist visa is non-extendable and non-convertible.
  • For a fresh request for tourist visa, there shall be a gap of at least 2 months between two visits to India on a Tourist Visa on re-entry of nationals of Afghanistan, China, Iran, Pakistan, Iraq, Sudan, Bangladesh, foreigners of Pakistan and Bangladesh origins and Stateless persons. The two months gap is applicable only to Tourist Visa holders.
  • Anyone desiring to visit restricted areas requires permission for the same from the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, New Delhi. Further information on the restricted area permit is at
  • Tourist Visa is for tourism purposes only and it should not be mixed(combined) with Business, Studies, Medical Treatment, Conference, Employment, Journalism, etc. for which specific visas are required.
  • If a tourist visa holder needs to return to India within two months of his/her last departure from the country due to exigencies like death or serious illness in the family, non-availability of connecting flights to return to his/her country of origin or travel to another country using India as a transit point or any other exigent situation which can be duly justified with proper documentation to the satisfaction of an Indian Mission/Post abroad or immigration authorities in India, the condition of two month's gap can be waived. In all such cases, the foreign national should register with the FRRO/FRO concerned within 14 days of arrival.
  • Foreign nationals holding six month tourist visas valid for up to three entries will not be subject to the above condition of two month's gap between two visits if they submit their itinerary and confirmed air tickets for travel to neighbouring countries.
  • The applicant should attach a copy of his/her Identity card, , attestation de travail et salaire ou Registre du Commerce et Statuts, two photos, proof of financial standing (releve de compte bancaire) and copy of reservations for the journey along with the Visa Application form.

Business Visa

A Business visa is strictly given to those who are doing business in India such as making sales or establishing contacts on behalf of a company outside of India. Business visas may be valid for one year or more with multiple entries. However, the period of stay in India for each visit under this category is limited to six months only. 

The applicants applying for business visa should submit the following additional documents:

  • A letter from an authorized representative of the employer deputing the applicant for a visit to India for business.(Ordre de Mission, Attestation de travail et de salaire)
  • Letter of invitation from the Indian company. The letter should be addressed to the Indian Embassy in Morocco requesting for grant of Business Visa to the applicant. Period for which visa is required and purpose of visit should be mentioned in the letter.
  • Copy of Identity Card
  • Registration Certificate of their company/letter from Ministry of Commerce of their country confirming registration of their company.(Registre du Commerce et Statuts)
  • Visiting card of the applicant (bearing his name, address, name of the company, telephone number, etc).
  • The foreign national should be a person of assured financial standing and must submit proof of his/her financial standing (releve de compte bancaire) and expertise in the field of intended business visit to India.
  • Educational qualification of the applicants and a copy of the highest degree obtained by them in their field/certificate for the profession they are in. 

    Applicants going for employment in projects/contracts in India should apply for an Employment visa and not a Business visa. Journalists traveling to India will need to apply for a Journalist visa regardless of the nature of the trip. 

    Applicants going for employment in projects/contracts in India should apply for an Employment visa and not a Business visa. Journalists traveling to India will need to apply for a Journalist visa regardless of the nature of the trip.

Student Visa

Student visa valid up to five years or the duration of course (whichever is less) is granted to a foreigner coming to India to pursue a course of regular and fulltime academic studies in a recognized institution. The applicant should furnish proof of admission in a recognized/reputed educational institution and evidence of financial support. In case of admission to a medical or para-medical course, a no objection certificate from the Ministry of Health must be furnished. Student visa valid for up to 6 months can be granted for exploring admission or for taking admission tests. There is no restriction on the number of courses of study that can be pursued or with respect to change of course or institute or both.

  • Student visas can also be granted for study of Yoga, Vedic Culture, Indian System of Music/Dance in recognized institutions.
  • The applicants should attach a copy of the letter of admission from the institution, Copy of Identity Card, 2 recent photographs and proof of financial standing along with application from.
  • A provisional visa may be issued in cases where the applicant does not have a firm letter of admission from the university, recognized college or educational institution. The reason for not having a firm letter can include pending admission tests or other requirements. In such cases, the provisional student visa may be issued on the basis of the provisional admission certificate / letter of offer issued by the institution in India. A provisional visa is valid for 3 months. If admission is not given or confirmed within the stipulated period, the student will have to leave India. No extension of a provisional student visa is allowed.
  • Spouse and dependent family members accompanying the applicant must apply for an Entry visa (NOT Tourist visa), co-terminus with the period of the principal visa holder.

Medical Visa

A Medical Visa is given to those seeking medical treatment only in reputed/recognized specialized hospitals/treatment centers in India. Up to two attendants who are blood relatives are allowed to accompany the applicant under separate Medical Attendant visas, and the Medical Attendant visa will have the same validity as the Medical visa.

Visa is permissible for treatment under Indian system of Medicine also. The initial duration of the visa is up to a year or the period of the treatment, whichever is less. The visa will be valid for a maximum of 3 entries during the 1 year.

The following are the additional documents to be submitted for obtaining Medical Visa:

  • The applicant should submit the Doctor's recommendation and a copy of the letter from the hospital in India accepting the patient for treatment and stating estimated expenditure on treatment.
  • The applicant should submit proof of his/her financial standing in order to be able to meet the expenses on his/her treatment.
  • Copy of Identity Card
  • Two recent photos

Medical Attendant Visa

A Medical Attendant Visa can be granted to up to two attendants who intend to accompany the person granted the medical visa. Attendants should be spouse/children or those having blood relations with the patient. Medical Attendant visas will have the same validity as the Medical visa.

All requirements of medical visa will apply to medical attendant visa. The initial duration of the visa is up to a year or the period of the treatment, whichever is less. The visa will be valid for a maximum of 3 entries during the 1 year.

Conference Visa

Conference Visa is issued to foreign delegates to international conferences, seminars etc conducted by Government bodies, Public Sector Undertakings, Central Educational Institutions, Public Funded University or an organization owned and controlled by the Government of India or State Government, UN or its specialized agencies or Government aided bodies and NGOs provided necessary clearance by nodal Ministries/Departments of the Government of India/State Governments is in place.

If the conference/seminar/workshop is being organized in India by private companies, the applicant should apply for the shortest duration business visa available. If approved, a 3 month single entry business visa will be granted.

The applicant should attach a copy of the letter of invitation to the Conference from the organizers along with the clearance from the Govt. of India.

Intern Visa

Applicants intending to pursue Internship under AIESEC programme or independently through private organizations may apply for Intern Visa. 

For AIESEC visa applicants, following documents are essential:

  • Original passport with validity of more than six months and minimum 2 blank pages;
  • Online application form (with photograph uploaded);
  • wo photographs;
  • Copies of passport (if you hold multiple nationalities then please provide photocopies of those passports also);
  • Copy of previous Indian visa/s (if any);
  • Copy of CIN;
  • Return flight booking;
  • Letter addressed to the Embassy from AIESEC India requesting for your visa;
  • Company Acceptance Note from AIESEC India;
  • Exchange Participant Acceptance Note signed by you;
  • Students Acceptance Note signed by you;
  • Offer letter from the Indian company/NGO where you will pursue internship;
  • Attestation de scolarite;
  • Your bank statement for latest 2 months or Prise en charge from your parent/s with CIN copy and bank statement

Employment Visa

Employment visas valid for one year at a time are granted to foreigners provided the foreigner is a skilled and qualified professional or a person who is being engaged by a company, organization, industry or undertaking in India on contract or employment basis at a senior level, skilled position such as technical expert, senior executive, or in a managerial position. Proof of employment in the form of employment contract is necessary.

An employment visa is also issued to those performing or participating in an event and to all entertainers.

Those traveling to India for volunteer work with a Non-governmental organization (NGO) must apply for an Employment visa. Those who are going for a meeting on behalf of a NGO should apply for an Entry visa. The Consulate may grant an Employment visa valid for up to one year irrespective of the duration of the contract. Further extension of up to 5 years may be obtained from MHA/FRRO in the concerned state in India. Spouse and dependent family members accompanying the applicant must apply for an Entry visa (NOT Tourist visa), co-terminus with the period of the principal visa holder.

  • Proof of employment in the form of an employment contract is necessary.
  • The applicant should attach "Certificate of Good Conduct from their past employer", Health Certificate, a Copy of the contract signed with the Indian employer clearly indicating terms & conditions, period of employment and salary to be paid.
  • Government of India's clearance in case of certain professions like flying pilots.
  • Documentary proof of registration of Indian company.
  • Copy of Identity Card and 2 recent photographs.

Project Visa

Foreign nationals coming to India for execution of projects in power and steel sectors have to apply for Project Visa.

The Visa would be project specific and a specific endorsement would be made on the Visa sticker indicating the name of the project for which the visa is issued and location of the project. In no circumstances would the person be allowed to be engaged in another project either of the same company or of a different company. 
The employment/working of the foreign personnel would be restricted to the location of the project. The Project visa would be issued based on submission of the relevant documents clearly establishing that the project/contract has been assigned to the particular foreign company by the Indian company/organization concerned.

A person coming on Project Visa will not be allowed to take up employment in the same Indian company for a period two years from the date of commission of the project. For application form for a Project Visa, click here.

Journalist Visa

A Journalist Visa is given to professional journalists and photographers for up to three months' stay in India.

The applicant should submit proof of being a journalist/ Identity Card of the applicant registered as a journalist. All journalists by profession travelling as tourists, including those having a degree in journalism and not practicing journalism, should give an undertaking in the form of a letter addressed to the Embassy of India, Rabat that they are going to India as tourists only and will not indulge in any journalistic activities. Those going to India for journalism should clearly mention so in their applications.

If you are intending to make a documentary in India, kindly contact the Press and Information wing in the Embassy/Consulate. Processing time for such visits would usually depend on the approval that may be required from concerned Ministries/Departments of Government of India and state government, as the case may be.

Research Visa

Research Visas are given to Research Professors or Scholars and participants attending research Conferences/Seminars/Workshops. Applicants are requested to apply at least six weeks before their date of departure to India and visas will be valid for entry into India four weeks after issue.

For Research Visa the following information/documents are required to be furnished along with the prescribed application form:

  • Subject/topic of the research project
  • Details of places to be visited in India during the project period
  • Details of previous visits to IndiaBulletLetter of admission and Certificate of Affiliation in original, from the recognized Indian University/Institution in token of having secured admission for the research purpose.
  • Evident of financial resources to meet the expenses during the stay in India
  • In case the research proposal relates to the applicant's own country a brief synopsis (150 words) and justification for doing research in India should also be submitted along with the application. 

    OCI/PIO card does not entitle the card holder to do research work in India without special permission from the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.

    Validity of the visa would coincide with the research period. Spouse and dependent family members accompanying the applicant must apply for an Entry visa (NOT Tourist visa), co-terminus with the period of the principal visa holder.

Transit Visa

A transit visa is granted for the sole purpose of enabling the holder to travel through India to reach his/her ultimate destination. Change of purpose is not allowed. The visa will ordinarily be valid for a single/double journey and for entry within 15 days of date of issue. The Transit visa is valid for direct transit only for a maximum period of 3 days. For a stay in India beyond 3 days, an appropriate visa should be obtained. Journalists traveling to India will need to apply for a Journalist visa regardless of the nature of the trip.

Entry Visa

Entry visa is issued to a person of Indian Origin, foreign spouse or children of a person of Indian origin, foreign spouse of Indian national, or a child or grandchild of a person who has held Indian nationality.

Spouse or dependent family member of a foreign national coming to India on long term visa such as Employment, Business, Research or Student also are issued Entry Visa. In such cases, the visa duration granted is co-terminus with the period of the principal visa holder. The principal visa holder's visa must be issued before the spouse and dependent family members can apply for their Entry visa.

If the applicant's purpose of visit to India does not match any other type of visa Entry Visa is issued.

Missionaries Visa

For those going to India for religious purposes, Single entry visa valid for the duration approved by the Government of India is issued. Processing of application for a Missionary Visa may take up to 3 months.

Universal Visa

Universal visa is a multipurpose life-long visa which Indian Missions and Posts abroad or the Ministry of Home Affairs may grant to Foreigners holding Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) card. The holder of universal visa can study, do business or take up employment in India and is exempt from the requirement of registration with FRRO/Police authorities for any length of stay in India.

Go to Navigation