Guidelines for filling forms Consular Services

Guidelines for filling forms

Guidelines for filling up Passport Application forms

  • All the columns of the application forms should preferably be typewritten or otherwise filled in legibly using BOLD letters with black/blue ink only. It must then be submitted with the passport (except when applying for the passport for the first time).
  • It is an offence under the Passports Act 1967 to give false information in the application. Misrepresentation/ suppression of facts, willful damage of passport and making unauthorized changes in passports may result in denial of passport/ consular service.
  • Incomplete or inappropriately-filled application forms will not be accepted.
  • Use CAPITAL LETTERS only, throughout the application form. Use standard fonts and avoid stylized writing. Write as clearly as possible. Write clearly within the boxes without touching the boundaries. Try and write in the centre of the box. Leave one box after each complete word, while filling up the boxes. Do NOT overwrite in case of a mistake. Do NOT write "NA" or "N/A" or "NOT APPLICABLE" in any boxes in the form to convey that the column is not relevant for your use. Leave that column blank.
  • Signature/Thumb impression of the applicant will be scanned and printed in the passport. Therefore, it must be kept strictly within the box, without touching the boundaries.
  • Particulars given in the application form will be printed in the passport booklet. Therefore, you must be careful in filling up the application form and submit the form without mistakes. The applicant shall be held responsible for any mistake in the application form submitted.
  • If the applicant is holding any other nationality/passport, it should be invariably mentioned in the designated column of the application.
  • All passport application forms for renewal should be accompanied by the Passport to be renewed.
  • Self attested photocopies of the first two pages and last two pages of the passport, containing particulars of the passport holder, names of both the parents, address and Visa page should be attached.
  • In case of a change in name, a copy of duly legalized certificate substantiating the change of name, (like a Marriage Certificate) should also be submitted.
  • The applicants should submit a copy of work permit/stay permit/ identity card showing legal status of the applicants in the country of residence. In cases where the passport has already expired before one year, the applicant may have to appear personally before the Consular Officer, if so required.
  • In case the name of spouse is to be added to the Passport, please submit a photocopy of marriage certificate with a request for addition of name.
  • For change of name/surname after marriage/divorce: Please refer to: Miscellaneous Passport Services section.
Go to Navigation